Saturday, October 10, 2009

VMD 1.8.7 CUDA on Macbook Pro's Geforce 9400M and Snow Leopard

For some reason, VMD 1.8.7 didn't pick up my 9400M video card.

With this message: No CUDA accelerator devices available.
I am not sure if it's something to do with Mac OS X 10.6 or else. I decided to take a look at CUDA's download page and got a hint that old run time library in VMD 1.8.7 might not work with 9400M+Mac OS 10.6. I started to install CUDA Driver and Toolkit but left the SDK alone. I happen to remember there were something CUDA in VMD's content, for example:
/Applications/VMD\ 1.8.7.app/Contents/vmd
So what I did was to remove the CUDA library files that came with VMD 1.8.7 and made symbolic links to the new runtimes I just installed.
$ cd /Applications/VMD\ 1.8.7.app/Contents/vmd
$ rm libcuda.dylib libcudart.dylib libtlshook.dylib
$ ln -s /usr/local/cuda/lib/libcuda.dylib
$ ln -s /usr/local/cuda/lib/libcudart.dylib
$ ln -s /usr/local/cuda/lib/libtlshook.dylib
VMD CUDA
Yay...